Thursday, June 3, 2010

Aaron's Preschool Graduation

Well, it’s official; Aaron is a preschool graduate! I have been so emotional about this day for so many reasons, but more than anything I am just so proud of how this little guy turned things around throughout the year. If you remember, when we first started the school year, things were rough to say the least. To say a little more, they were emotionally draining, soul-crushing, mind-numbing, second guessing, pulling my hair out kind of ridiculous, make me want to take a nap with my head in the microwave difficult. Yeah, it was like that. But today was such a wonderful celebration of how far Aaron has come and just how much he has grown up over the last nine months.

When we first walked into the gym, they had a slide show playing of all of the kids through out the year and Only Time by Enya was playing in the background. That song is so hauntingly beautiful that I would have sobbed if that was the only thing playing. Add the pictures of the kids and forget about it.

Then, the curtains on the stage pulled back and all of the kids were standing there in their caps and gowns and they starting singing their own graduation version of Here Comes the Sun. They did one more song and the curtains closed for another slide show. There were several songs that played in the background of this show, but the one that got me the most was You’re Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins. Up until then I thought that I was holding it together pretty well, but when that song started, I was done.   Thank gooness I remembered the tissues.

Next it was diploma time and all of the kids got to walk across the stage to receive their diplomas.
After everyone received their diplomas there was one more little slide show that was called When I Grow Up. This was such a sweet video. Each kid had their pictures taken in their cap and gown and one at a time, a child’s picture would come up and an audio clip would play of the child saying what he or she wanted to be when they grow up. Aaron said he wants to be a baseball player.

They closed with one more graduation song and then we were free to take our little graduate home.
Aaron, I can’t even begin to tell you how proud we are of you. At the beginning of this year when things were so difficult, I wasn’t sure that you were ready to take this step. You seemed so little and I hated leaving you everyday when you seemed so unsure. But watching you over the last nine months and seeing you on that stage today I have no doubt that you were ready. You have done such an amazing job and you have learned so much. Congratulations my little graduate! Next stop…kindergarten.

2 comments:

Tina said...

That is so sweet that they do all this for pre-k! I don't think they go to that length around here. I am in Putnam County, WV so anyway never heard of a graduation done this way. I would have cried too! Just think this is just the beginning of many more milestones!

Amy said...

It was absolutely wonderful! The teachers did such a fantastic job to make it feel like such a special day for the kids and the parents.