Wednesday, August 29, 2012

To Elyse on the Night Before She Starts Preschool

Dear Elyse,

I have been imagining what it would be like to write you this letter since I sat down and wrote Aaron his night before preschool letter three years ago. At that time you were just a tiny little girl who had only turned one year old a few months before. In these last three years, I have watched you grow, and learn, and become such an amazing little lady. I have absolutely no doubt that you are ready for this next step, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how we got here so fast.

You were just toddling next to me down the sidewalk as we walked Aaron into preschool. Once in the classroom, you would go straight to play with the baby dolls and I could never get you to leave.

We were just taking all of those many trips to Walmart, my little shopping buddy, who loved to check out what samples the bakery had out each time we visited.

We were just baking cookies, and cakes, and brownies in the kitchen; you standing next to me on one of the dining room chairs. My floor always looked like I had three Elyses helping me.

You were just asking me to have a tea party, or to read you a story, or to play Play Doh. Sometimes you wanted to do all of those things all at the same time, and I could never figure out where you got all of that boundless energy.

Tomorrow morning you are going to start your first day of preschool. You are going to meet a bunch of new friends and have so much fun playing together. You are going to learn so many new things, and you are going to be challenged in so many new ways. I can’t even begin to imagine the stories that you are going to have when you get home. I know how excited you are for this next step and I am excited too, but when we are walking to your classroom tomorrow, lets try to walk a little slow, because for the life of me I can’t figure out how we got here so fast.

Love,
Mommy

0 comments: