Tuesday, September 22, 2009

This is Huge...

What I am about to tell you is so big, so huge, so exciting that I feel like shouting it from the rooftops. Last night...for the first time in WEEKS...I didn't have to get up with Elyse even once!


-cymbals clashing, drums banging, triumphant music all around-

Every night, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for weeks and weeks and weeks Elyse has gotten up in the middle of the night crying for either her blanket or pacifier or both. Some nights I was lucky and she only did it once, but other nights we would see each other every hour on the hour, and let me tell you, those nights sucked!

So what changed? Well, I have been pondering whether or not a night light would remedy the situation. We still use her baby monitor and that casts a good amount of light, but it is a little harsh and sometimes I thought that she was waking up because of that light. I wasn't sure if I should try it or not, but after the night we had had prior, I was willing to try just about anything with in reason, or not, basically whatever got her to sleep a full night was A OK by me.

We did our usual bedtime routine; stories, songs, cuddle time, bed. We read "Goodnight Blue" and "I See A Monster" which are two of her absolute favorites. Then we did Twinkle, Twinkle, Itsy, Bitsy Spider, and I Love My Rooster. After all of that we had a little cuddle time and let me tell you, she is a great cuddler; 100% made for cuddling. She rested her little fuzzy head on my chest and I stroked her hair and nestled my face down by her neck which is undoubtedly the baby sweet spot. I started to get so emotional because I know how fast this time goes. I am going to blink and she is going to be off to preschool just like Aaron is now, but for that moment, in the dark, it was just her and I; my little baby who is more of a little girl now. It was one of those moments that I know I will never forget and no matter how far away we get from this time, when I remember it we will instantly be transported back to that rocking chair, in the dark, just her and I.

Anyway, after our moment, I put her to bed, told her that I love her, and left her room. I had very little hope that the night light was going to work, but what did I have to loose? I haven't slept, really slept, in so many weeks that the days are all blurring together into one massive time clump so if she got up once, twice, even three times it was just going to be business as usual.

The stupid cat started meowing around 4ish AM and when I saw what time it was I about jumped out of bed to do a cartwheel. It worked, it worked, my God it WORKED! She made it through the whole night and while I realize that 4:00 AM to most doesn't seem like the entire night, to a mom it's practically noon, so to say that I was ecstatic would be putting it mildly.

I know what you're thinking, "Why in God's name are you writing this? Don't you know that you just jinxed yourself and that this is never going to work again?" Yes, I am aware, but it was so wonderful that I just had to share it and so what if she does get up tonight? I slept for six hours straight last night...SIX. I am good to go for another eight weeks.

4 comments:

Daniel Mahoney said...

I'm so happy to hear that Elyse likes my book I See A Monster! I'm the illustrator, Daniel J. Mahoney.

Amy said...

Are you kidding me?!? The title of this post is, "This is Huge," but I stand corrected. THIS is huge. How did you ever come across my blog? Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I am so going to tell Elyse that the illustrator of her favorite book left her mommy a comment. She's sixteen months old, but I know she will totally get it. Thanks so much.

Daniel Mahoney said...

I have something called Google Alerts on my computer. I set it up so whenever any of my books are mentioned anywhere on the internet, I get an alert in the form of an email.

Let me know if you want an autographed copy!

Your welcome. BTW, your blog is pretty funny, and I can relate to the kid stuff because I have a 5 yr old who wouldn't sleep through the night either!

Leslie said...

That is huge! And so is the comment from Daniel Mahoney. Wow!