Friday, March 5, 2010

Totally Awesome, Super Cool Haiku Contest!

So my friend Leslie over at My Mommy's Place is hosting her semi-annual Haiku Buckaroo contest. Just what is the Haiku Buckaroo contest you ask? Well, it’s simple. Think back to your high school English class and you might remember that a haiku is a poem that is broken into syllables; five on the first line, seven on the second, and five on the third. All you need to do is submit an original haiku to mymommysplace.com, cross your fingers, and hope that you are the lucky winner. If you don’t have a blog, she has a form on her site that you can use to submit your work. You should so take advantage of this opportunity for fame and fortune. This is what I submitted…


Haikus and Mommy Brain Don't Mix
by
Amy Hicks

In the last few days
I’ve started this haiku more
times than I can count.

But interruptions
are many and my brain…mush.
Tensions start to mount.

I was creative
once, in a time before kids
Wasn’t I? I think.

Hang on, Elyse is
behind the couch and something
is starting to stink.

I’m sitting back down,
now that the girl has been changed.
Where was I again?

Oh right, the haiku
where I’m drawing a blank.
My head starts to spin.

Hey wait! I’ve got it!
Words are coming to me now.
I’m soon on a roll…

Until Aaron needs
me to unclog the toilet.
Urgh, damage control!

Well, I got there in
time to contain the poo flood
and stopped a huge mess.

Thank goodness I’m quick
with mad plunger skills. It’s a
gift I must confess.

Now let’s try again
with the five, seven, five; it
can not be that tough.

Don’t hit your sister!
Get that thing out of your mouth!
Urgh, I’ve had enough!

I thought I could do
this and write a haiku that’s
fit for Leslie’s game.

But clearly I can’t.
I should just give up now and
turn in something lame.

So here’s what I’ve got.
Can you handle this? You should
hold on to your seat…

Haikus are tricky
‘til you just throw out words like
reinforced concrete.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, Amy. I love this! You made me laugh so hard. You have a gift for haiku!

Thanks for entering!

jublke said...

I love the last haiku. Brilliant!

Goofball said...

this rocks! It's funny, it's haiku, it's in rhyme.

Amy said...

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it.