Sunday, August 9, 2009

Home Remodeling and the Domino Effect

We are currently in the middle of some home improvement projects. We have a list of several things that we would like to accomplish before winter, and the current project is installing the last few windows that need to be replaced. Excited does not begin to explain how I feel about this finally getting done. You see, when we moved into the house, it had those old, crank out style windows that did little more than prevent wild life from crawling, and/or flying right in to set up residence. They were drafty, and let moisture in, and had these hideous marble sills that allowed huge puddles of water to build up and then drip all over the floor. Are you getting the picture? They sucked.

In their place now are new, white, sliding windows that slide open and closed with the greatest of ease. I literally stood at the kitchen window the other night opening and closing it just because I could. Instead of those terrible marble sills, Mike is going to make wooden frames like he did for the other windows, and let me tell you, they are gorgeous. The new windows have made the whole house look brand new, but there is a problem. As soon as we start one thing, I see something else that needs to be done, and then something else, and then one more thing after that, and I become totally consumed with home improvement ideas. It's a sickness really.

Have you ever read the children's book, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" by Laura Joffe Numeroff? It basically says, "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk," and it goes on and on explaining that if you give him one thing, he's going to want something else. In my case the book would say, "If you replace a window in Amy's kitchen, she's going to ask if she can paint the walls. When she paints the walls, she's going to want to do the cabinets." I think you get the idea. So while Mike is just as excited to have these windows replaced as I am, I am pretty sure that he is trying to figure out how he can give me a cookie, without me asking for a glass of milk.

2 comments:

Grimm said...

Speaking from the male point of view, Mike is a wise man. Milk can be VERY expensive.

Great job on the blog!

Leslie said...

Yay for new windows!

We have a huge list of things that need done at our house. It just keeps getting longer, but we never get anything done. I'm a starving mouse!