Tuesday, August 11, 2009

SOS

As any mother of a child who has gone through the teething stage will tell you, living with a baby who is cutting teeth is like being aboard the Titanic as it's going down. You desperately want to get off the ship, you will do anything to escape the cruel reality of dealing with where you are, and you know that before it's all over there's going to be a whole lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. So, yeah, it's been like that at our house lately.

Needless to say, Elyse is cutting teeth. Not the cute little teeth in the front, but the gigantic, nasty, torture devices known as molars. The poor girl is in agony. She looks at me with those tiny little teary eyes and begs me to help her, but nothing I do will make it better. Teething tablets...did them. Tylenol and Motrin...wussys in the face of this kind of pain. Popsicles, ice cream, and all related frozen products...nada. Hard liquor... still an option.

When Aaron was teething, he basically decided over night that he would get a new tooth, and by morning it was through. You would have never guessed that he was cutting teeth. Elyse has had to fight for every tooth in her mouth, all nine of them now counting the new molar. She has had every teething symptom in the book; fever, diaper rash, lack of appetite, drooling, crankiness; trust me, you don't want me to continue.

I hope that she starts to feel more like her old self soon. She is too bubbly and sweet to be this miserable. But I have to be honest, if this lasts for too much longer, I am totally ditching her for the first life boat that circles back around.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

I know what you're going through! Oh, I KNOW. A few nights ago, Lucy was up wailing and Julia was grinding her teeth in her sleep. I turned to Dave and said, "You know how they describe hell in the Bible as having weeping and gnashing of teeth? Dude, WE'RE THERE."

Julis was like Aaaron. Her teeth were through, easy peasy. Lucy has fought for every.one. It doesn't seem fair.