Thursday, August 27, 2009

Slacker, Thy Name is Amy

I have been bad, so very, very bad. I have pretty much been on a junk-food bender ever since I ran that 5K on August 1st. It started innocently enough, it always does. I would think, "Oh, I will just treat myself today." Then, before you know it, I'd wake up in a puddle of melted ice cream, surrounded by M&M's, chocolate smeared across my face, wondering how I got there. True story.

So last night, in an effort to regain control, I decided to do the most logical thing...punish myself on the treadmill for an hour. I figured that a good, painful workout would snap me back into reality and remind me just how much better I feel when I am on track with my diet. I started with a five minute warm-up, followed by running the 5K distance of 3.1 miles, and I finished with twenty-ish minutes of grueling incline work. Oh, hurt so good.

It's funny because every time that I veer from my workout routine, it takes so much effort to get that first work out in, but when I am done I can't figure out why I ever slacked off. I always feel good when I'm done and the pain is always worth it, usually.

I feel like I have renewed my commitment to myself to get back on track, but do you want to know the sad thing? I have to bake cookies this weekend for the church picnic and I am already drooling over the thoughts of cookie dough. I've got a real problem.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I have been such a big fat cheaterpants when it comes to my diet, lately. I've been stressed and when I'm stressed I eat. And eat. Then, I eat some more. I'm really struggling. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get back to it after this deadline or that event, even though I realize that's the kind of thinking that made me so big to start with. Ugh. Why is eating healthy so freaking hard?

Amy said...

We are always on the same page. Crazy, huh. I am just like you and I keep saying, "Tomorrow it starts." Then I'm all, "After my ladies days :) " but I just keep eating crap. How in the hell did I ever stick with it long enough to loose 50lbs?